Thursday, October 11, 2012

We had an exciting evening Tuesday, October 9.  I was asked to do the ceremonial puck drop for the Alaska Aces Paint the Rink Pink game against the Las Vegas Wranglers.  There were so many things about the night that made it remarkable.  One of them was the behind the scenes work by James to get many family and friends to attend the event.  Even though I'm the one with Cancer, he is truly the one carrying the majority of the stress:  caring for me and worrying about me; taking care for the kids and getting them to school and hockey; and taking care of all of the routine chores around the house, not to mention the stress of his work.  I have many dear friends who remind me how important family is and to put the stress of life and work on the back burner.  I'm fortunate that my staff understand that and have been supportive.  Next week I plan on working half days Monday - Wednesday and then take Thursday and Friday off.

The night held some surprises as well.  As we were waiting, we were able to get a family picture with Scott Gomez prior to the game.  James had a conversation with him regarding the lockout.  He is so kind to his fans.  We're hoping the NHL lockout ends soon so we can watch him play.  After our picture with Scott, the boys and I headed out on the ice for the National Anthem and then the red carpet.  Things on our end went off without a hitch, however #17 from the Wranglers had other things in mind.  He refused to back up when the photographer gave him several motions to do so because he was blocking me and Jared, and then he said, "I dont' take orders very f____ well."  The Aces player looked at him like, you've got to be kidding me dude - have some class.  He did not.  I wish I would have had the nerve to throw him out of the face off circle!
Family photo with Scott Gomez!

After the ceremonial puck drop, we headed up to watch the game and received a warm welcome and surprise from Caleb's hockey team.  When the doors to the elevator opened, there they were - the Mighty Moose Squirt B team and coaches each holding a rose which was then given to me.  I was overwhelmed.  They are an amazing group of kids, parents, and coaches and we are blessed that Caleb is skating with them this year.  Jared's team is another amazing group of kids and families.  They are skating with special hockey jerseys for the month of October.  Each jersey has the name of a family member or friend on the back - Jared is wearing Lisa Huffman.  Like the pink hair?

With all of the support, it makes it easy to forget how tired I am and all of the other horrible aspects of cancer.  A few I forgot to mention last week, I have a continual bloody nose that fortunately doesn't run, my mind is fuzzy, and with my hair coming back - I've got peach fuzz hair for side burns!  Now doesn't that just make you laugh.  I did Google it and it is one of the side effects of chemo.  Some women suggest shaving, others using cream hair removal, others say it will go away with time and some use electrolysis.  I'm going to give it some time.  I'll keep you posted.  

One final video clip...Port access:  http://youtu.be/-NAdJWh1myU

And a final note.  I received this note from a student this week.  With all of the challenges with my job and life, there are also many blessings.  Kids, family, and friends are definitely at the top!  I thank God every day for each and every one of you.  Much love, Lisa


1 comment:

  1. When I read your post this a.m., I had a good cry. You are all showing such strength and love for each other! I am so proud of James and the way he is supporting you. He is a good man and doing for you and the boys, what his dad did for me.
    I LOVE Jared's pink hair!!!
    As for your "peach fuzz"...I had "mouse feathers" for awhile!

    ReplyDelete