Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Well, tomorrow is the big day - last surgery!  I am so excited, which might seem a bit strange, but it marks the last major hurdle in this breast cancer journey.  I know I'll have follow-up care and medication to take daily, but that is all so manageable.

Since completing radiation two weeks ago, I am amazed at how quickly my skin has healed and I've recovered.  After one week, all blisters had healed up and this past week the redness has really toned down.  You can definitely still see the radiation fields and it is still a little tender - I don't want to wear a bra yet, but it is such a vast improvement over the last two weeks of radiation that I'm thrilled.  James laughed when I said I couldn't wear a bra yet - what do I need to wear one for?  For the prosthetics of course.  Although I really only wear them if the outfit requires some shape and nothing I'm wearing right now really requires that.  It has really been a blessing that I have not been working and have been able to recover completely for this surgery. 

Blood draw?
After prayer and consultation with the gynecologist, the conclusion is to remove my ovaries, uterus and cervix.  The procedure will be laproscopic surgery, three incisions in my abdomen with the organs being removed vaginally.  Any complications would result in a cut in my abdomen and organs removed through the incision.

Had some more blood taken today, and I miss the Oncology nurses!  This nurse has drawn blood twice and both times left me bruised and bloody, and I've got great veins!   I am anxious to see the result tomorrow as my last draw on December 27 had low white cell, red cell and absolute neutrophil counts.  I was surprised - my white count was at 2.2. 

I've continued with hot yoga which has helped tremendously - not only with sweating out all of the chemo drugs, but it has helped the range of motion in my right arm and shoulder.  I can feel the skin, muscles and ligaments stretching in the intense heat.  I love it!  I can't wait to get back to it after surgery.  I did get some great advice from a nurse friend of ours who said to get up and get walking right away - so that's my immediate exercise plan.

Salmon with roulade

We enjoyed a wonderful family dinner this evening - Salmon Roulade.  It is one of my favorite recipes and I want to thank our friends in North Pole who first gave us the recipe.  The boys have a hockey tournament this weekend and will take on some additional responsibilities once again.  I'm hoping to get to make their finals on Monday. 

Please keep our family in your prayers. 


4 comments:

  1. Lisa you are one amazing woman and through all of this you have inspired me and many others! We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this final step!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so thankful this journey is coming to a close and you all can resume your life....You and James are a real team and we have all learned from you both. We love you all and you are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are sending prayers your way!!! Can't wait to see you next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! Hope you are recovering well!! Prayers are being lifted for your full recovery.
    Hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete