Saturday, September 15, 2012

You never really realize how much you love something until it is gone.  We had to put our wonderful St. Bernard down yesterday due to severe hip dysplasia.  Tucker couldn't get up and walk, and when he tried, his hips gave out from under him.  He was in a lot of pain.  James and I took him to the vet while the boys were at school, and although we all knew it was going to happen, it has been a difficult week.  Not only is it difficult because I miss Tucker, but it is so difficult to listen to the heartache when your child talks about how much they love and miss their dog, how they miss vacuuming up Tucker hair, scooping Tucker poop, and how Tucker was supposed to be there until they moved out of the house.  He was only 4 1/2 years old.  Those of you who know James and I well, know what a change we had to make to welcome that furry friend into our home - dog hair and slobber is not something that either of us tolerate well.  I will miss walking downstairs each morning to a warm welcome from Tucker; our morning walks; the head shake with fur flying everywhere; the slobbery dog dish; the muddy paws from his water hole; and feeding him carrots, apples, and peanut butter treats.

I'd like to think that I'm doing well, but the stress this past week took a toll, making it more difficult to keep the tears from flowing.  My counts dropped before Thursday's chemo treatment so I'll need to continue the Neuprogen shots for three days following each chemo treatment.  The good new is that the doctor thinks I'm doing extremely well and inquired about acupuncture so that he could refer others in treatment.  He also said that I wouldn't need a blood draw or doctor visit for three weeks.  And hair?  I have hair growing on top of my head!  I'm not sure if I should let it grow or keep it trimmed.  Wondering if it will stay with this type of chemo treatment and if it will stay when I start radiation.  I have an acupuncture appointment on Monday and will see the naturopath on Friday, with chemo on Thursday as usual.

Knowing that stress can be a leading health problem, I'm trying to keep the stress from work from invading my recovery.  I'm thankful that I'll have a substitute once a week to help my assistant principal.  And I'm thankful for my husband, family and friends that keep me grounded, remind me to take care of myself, and show me they care in so many thoughtful ways.  Thank you...





6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Tucker. We had to put our german shephard, Yukon, down a few weeks ago. He was 12- was surprised at how much I miss him! But it was during our move and a few days after the kids left for school so my emotions were high.

    Sending hugs to you and hoping you are doing well. Think of you often!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and miss you all..know this has been a real heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lisa. I'm so sorry to hear about Tucker. It's never easy to lose the furry ones in our family, especially when he was so young. You did right by him and I'm sure Tucker knew he was loved.
    Don't forget that tears actually help relieve stress, so that makes it okay.
    Maybe an extra acupuncture appointment could help.
    Sending positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hard blow. Losing a dog is losing a member of the family. My Grandpa always told us, "you know God loved dogs because he gave them his name backwards". At many of our American Cancer Society meetings people talk about how their pets are also their caregivers. They just seem to know what everyone in the family needs, especially during a stressful time like cancer. Thinking of you always--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa I am so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how dogs become such an important part of our family. They should live forever in my opinion!

    I am worried about your stress level. Your health and family come first. Everything else takes a distant second place. Easier said...I know. Hang in there, all this will be behind you soon.
    Hugs!
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer Lisa. I'm Playing catch up with your Blogs so by now i hope things are a little easier for the boys and you all. So sorry to hear about Tucker.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete