Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I was originally scheduled for 30 radiation treatments, but found out yesterday that I'd have 33 treatments with my last treatment on January 4.  What is a couple more treatments you ask?  A downer.  I was really hoping to be finished on December 28.  I plan on asking the radiology oncologist what difference those 3 extra treatments will make when I see her next week.  What does the research show?  That's what it is all about.  And if I opt not to do the extra three treatments and I have a recurrence, then I'll always wonder - what if I'd done those last three treatments?   Okay, I'm over it now; I'll be finished with radiation on January 4, 2013.

Yesterday during my radiation appointment, the technicians had me lay on the table, lined up my tattoos and then took multiple x-rays of the areas they planned on radiating.  They also drew lines showing the perimeter of the areas they were treating.  The doctor came in to look at the area and made a minor adjustment which meant that today when I went in, they had to redraw the area on my chest, take a couple of x-rays and have her check the area a second time.  With her confirmation,  they gave me my first treatment.  The machine is quite interesting in that it is located in a room with a metal door about two feet thick and as it rotates around the patient a "window" or collimator adjusts the radiation beam to a flexible shape.  The machine is quiet.  It moves into position and then for 7-15 seconds radiates an area.  It did this seven times radiating basically my right chest wall, lower part of my neck, right armpit, and right side/back.  I immediately followed the treatment with lotion which I'm supposed to do three times a day, but not three hours prior to my treatment.  I've got lanolin, an aloe plant, BioOil, lotion...a little bit of everything to combat the possible damage to my skin.  I'm not to swim, use a hot tub or be in the sun.  The swimming and sun won't be a problem, but I'm bummed I can't use the hot tub.


After radiation today, we met with my oncologist.  My blood work looked fine and he was impressed with the amount of hair I was growing and its length.  I guess I'm at the top of the list of cancer patients for hair growth, really.  He then talked to James and I about the next two months.  First, I'll have an electrocardiogram which will be compared with the one I had last February to make sure my heart has not suffered any damage.  I'll need to have a bone density scan in the next couple of weeks.  I'll also meet with the gynecologist by mid December to discuss the hysterectomy.  The oncologist will want the hysterectomy completed immediately following radiation, so that means I'll need to have surgery the first or second week of January.  Following that surgery, I'll begin taking an aromatase inhibiter which prevents estrogen from being produced.  Aromatase inhibiters can increase the risk of bone loss and fractures, thus the previously mentioned bone scan.  When an AI is taken for 5 - 10 years, it  reduces the risk of relapse by half.

Today was a bit overwhelming with all of the information and appointments, but now that I've processed it and prayed about it, I'm planning next week's menu.  Caleb had taken on the menu board and planned this week's meals.  We're pretty much on track and in addition to what is on the menu, I made some delicious rosemary pretzels with rosemary cheese dip.  I've also tried to make sure I stick with daily exercise, as I put on five pounds pretty quickly (and have since taken it back off).  In addition to great family time, exercise and cooking therapy, I've been working on Apple iBooks for each year of Jared and Caleb's life.  After several days, I have two years worth of pictures, artwork and schoolwork scanned in for Jared and one book completed.  Jared is 13 and Caleb is 10...hmmm - I've got a lot left to do!





5 comments:

  1. Love you Lisa! The new year cannot come soon enough. I have two out if control aloe plants- let me know if you want one or clippings. We should be down your way next weekend. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. 33 treatments is a lot, but I agree, you would always wonder if you didn't do the last 3. Sounds like you will be eating well! I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to exercise and how great that you are using your time to organize your photos! Keep looking at all the positives cause it sounds like you have lots of them!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I read your blog today and felt the UGH of the extra three treatments and all that you still need to endure. I'm proud of your surrender to everything that will be involved over the next month+. You are constantly and inspiriation by your honesty and perseverence. Love you friend! Can't wait to celebrate one day with you once you receive your last treatment! TLH

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're almost there. I am so pulling for you, and I'm so encouraged by your spirit. If you need any help after the surgery just let me know. I'm not working and I could run errands or tend to whatever you might need. I know you all are going to come out of this very difficult year luminous and triumphant!

    :)

    Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was thinking of you and wondered how you were doing! You are always in my mind and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete