Saturday, November 10, 2012


My first chemotherapy treatment was on May 30 and November 8 was my last.  James calculated that I've had approximately 2.25 gallons of chemicals run through my body over the past six months.  Even so, my blood work looked good this week and has held stable for the past several weeks. 
The absolutely amazing group of nurses who delivered my weekly chemo.  I won't miss chemo, but I'll miss them!

My last chemo nap.  Yea!
This past week I met with the radiology oncologist on Monday and again on Wednesday.   The soonest that she would consider letting me start radiation was a week after my last chemo due to the individual intensity of each treatment.  With that being said, my first radiation will be on Wednesday, November 14 and my last radiation on Friday December 28.  I’ll have Saturdays and Sundays off in addition to Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.  


Wednesday’s appointment was a long one with me laid out on the CT scan table for over 30 minutes, hands above my head holding a bar, legs straight and rubber-banded together, top off.  They marked the areas on my right chest wall with metal markers along my scar and points where the drains were located.  They also made bulls-eye marks with sharpie markers and in the center of those marks they gave me a freckle tattoo with one in the middle of my chest, one above my belly button, and one on each side of my chest near where the drains were located. They took two scans and photographs, which will be used when mapping and planning my treatment.  Tuesday, they’ll have me laid out again taking x-rays to confirm the exact location of the radiation. 


Although Thursday was my last chemo treatment, I’ll be back for blood work and an oncology visit on Wednesday.  I’ve met with the naturopath doctor and he has changed my supplements slightly; I’ve had those okayed with the radiology oncologist.  I’ve also picked up some pure lanolin and have an aloe plant on hand to help with any fried skin from radiation.  I’ll continue with acupuncture and massage throughout radiation and will taper it down once I’ve completed my treatment. 

 Philippians 4:6 NIV
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

A friend sent me this verse this week and I found it so appropriate.  Throughout diagnosis, surgery, and chemotherapy, I have really been at peace knowing that God will see me through this experience - but it has really been thanks to all of the prayers on my behalf that I have truly done so amazingly well.  When I was diagnosed with breast cancer on April 10, I had no idea what to expect, but I wouldn't change a thing.  Not that I would want anyone to ever have to go through any type of illness, but it certainly has been a positive change for me and my family, and maybe even my friends.  And I know I'm far from finished, with radiation starting on Wednesday, detox from chemo in January, a hysterectomy soon after and years of medication.  But with my last dose of chemo behind me, I feel blessed.

One of my projects this week:  pickled veggies!

Caleb's hockey team from last year went to Fairbanks to play - the kids taped their sticks in pink and wrote Huffman on the blade to support Caleb.  Awesome kids!!

Having some fun with friends for Halloween.  Jared is wearing black and Caleb is wearing green.



4 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are a real inspiration to your family and friends. Your faith and your trust in the Lord has been an example to all of us. I am so proud to call you "daughter"!
    James, the way you have supported Lisa and your faith are so precious to me. I am so proud you are my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you and your family have been in my thoughts so much. Just know that I'm sending you all prayers for strength and healing every day.

    By the way, those pickled veggies look wonderful!

    Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you a hug tonight : )
    I love your boys costumes! You could actually wear a snowsuit under that! (or fit a friend in there, like our 2 headed witch)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your boys costumes! You could wear a snowsuit under there, OR add a friend like our 2 headed witch!
    Sending you a hug! : )

    ReplyDelete