Thursday, July 26, 2012

One of the lessons God's been teaching me through this process is to keep my priorities straight:  to cherish my family and friends, to enjoy each moment and live in the moment, and to take care of myself.  It is easy for me to get caught up in the business of work and day to day routines.  As I head back to work today, I know that I need to avoid falling into that trap.

Fatigue has been the predominant side effect I've noticed most.  There are some funny things like "prickly" hair stubble on my head and inconsistent bowel movements, but fatigue is the hardest for me to deal with.  I don't rest well.  I stopped by the Oncology department to ask if they thought I should do a blood check - they told me it wasn't necessary, fatigue is a part of the game.  I am still taking my supplements and going to acupuncture.

I had an appointment with the naturopathic doctor today who thinks I am doing well - no joint pain, no mouth sores, no neuropathy - lots of things to celebrate (and I'm not being sarcastic).  After reviewing the supplement list, he asked me if I minded adding one more pill and I paused before answering.  He picked up on my lack of enthusiasm, but explained the benefits of taking alpha lipoic acid and I was on board.  I left with a updated list of supplements as my chemo regiment will be changing after the fourth treatment on Wednesday. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my summer with family and friends - what a blessing each and every one of you are to me.  We just finished another trip to Homer with James' brother and even though there were some rough seas, we were finally able to get out and fish, enjoy the scenery and have fun. 







6 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your return to work. Prayers and positive thoughts to ensure much energy and healing in the days to come!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you and James (in the pink hat)! You are an inspiration girl! I am still making fruit smoothies for breakfast....mine are yogurt, fruit and milk - I think of you every time I make one! Stay strong, we are praying for you! Lots of love to you all! Terry and Danny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be kind to yourself and don't expect your "old self" energy--- do what you can and remember, right now you're priority is to heal your body so you can be the mom, wife, principal, and friend you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAMN, girl....you've got me jonesing for halibut!!!! I've only fished for halibut once but had a GREAT time...reeled in FOUR (two of mine and a couple more for young friends from Boston)....Bill and I gave our catch to Lucy & Terry since we couldn't haul it all the back to Saudi Arabia.

    So it's back to school....got your new school supplies and a new outfit for the first day?????

    I think of you every day, babe....your courage and wisdom inspire me....big hugs and lots of love, dd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking of you and how it must be that time to head back. Don't forget about YOU and use that support system! Running and work will always be there - take care of you! You are an amazing wife, mom, teacher and principal.

    Hugs to you

    PS Give Jared and Caleb best wishes for a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you as you settle into the new school year-hope as is well! Margaret

    ReplyDelete