Monday, June 11, 2012

6/11
I had a mid-treatment blood count check and my white blood cell count was a wee bit low at 0.2 (normal is 5 - 15) which prompted the doctor to order a white blood cell booster shot.  Today I received one shot to the buttocks (the prime fatty spot on my body), and I'll receive another shot Tuesday and a final shot on Wednesday.  The doctor will give me the booster shot with my next treatment to head this off from happening next round.  He mentioned I may experience a few side effects - flu like fever and aches, but acupuncture should help with those.  I have acupuncture tomorrow and Friday.  I also need to stay away from crowds and sick people for the next two days since my white blood count is so low.

All of my other blood-work looked great.  He thought that I was doing quite well and it may be in part to the supplements and acupuncture.  I started my menstrual cycle and James was quite the husband and went to get tampons at the store and a Green Tea Frap!  I'm flooding through everything - they removed my hormone IUD in April since my cancer is Er and Pr positive.  The OBGYN said I'd have to deal with that issue after chemo and radiation, but can't use anything with hormones.  Positive side effect to chemo is that it should put a stop to my cycle with the next treatment. 

My next appointment will be on 6/19 to check my blood count and then 6/20 for my next treatment.

2 comments:

  1. We are so grateful that you have set up this bog....we think about you constantly and pray that this journey is not too difficult for you and the family. Keeping the faith from the Midwest - Love Danny and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch! Hopefully those shots will prevent this from becoming a problem..low white blood count can really be a pain (in more ways than one:) ) You are in our prayers, as you know. You and James are a real example of courage in the face of difficulty..we love and admire you both!

    ReplyDelete